Harness the innate power of touch
Discover new ways of connecting with your baby
Ever done baby massage before?
Know much about it?
Why not learn some baby massage techniques?
Many parents already do some massage on their babies as parents naturally touch their babies to calm, soothe and connect.
Many parents appreciate being able to learn more about some structured massage techniques that they can adapt or build on at home as needed to enhance the instinctive care they give to their baby.
AN INTRODUCTION TO THE BENEFITS OF BABY MASSAGE
Baby massage is great for first time parents as a confidence builder
It is also great for second time around or “thereafter” parents as a way to spend special time in their busy lives with just this baby alone
Baby massage is another fun and relaxing way to bond with your baby. It can help relieve feelings of anxiety common in parenthood often associated with time pressures and a sudden increased sense of responsibility and demands, helping parents to relax more within themselves and with their baby.
It can help babies to calm down when they are feeling anxious, physically uncomfortable, irritable or in pain, so that they feel more safe, secure and comfortable.
At baby massage classes, parents can learn more about normal baby behaviour, recognising and responding to baby cues & body language more reflexively and learning to watch for the signs of overstimulation and stress their baby may at times be exhibiting.
Consistently going through repetitive massage sequences helps teach your baby expectant and predictive behaviour such as “if this happens, then that usually follows”, giving babies an increased sense of security.
Baby massage at an early age helps introduce the concept of appropriate touch – what touch is OK and what touch is not OK. As baby massage is intended to be performed only by the parents or a person who has a special and close bond with the baby, eg a grandparent, older sibling or similar trusted person, this further reinforces the concept.
Baby massage is a fun activity for both you and your baby. During a massage session, a two-way connection is created which naturally has positive effects for both of you.
Baby massage is a valuable skill and gives you some more parenting techniques you can try in class and be able to take away with you to put into practice at home as it best suits you and your family situation. Learning specific strokes and sequences provides parents with another valuable trick to store in their parenting toolbox.
Baby massage enhances the communication between you and your baby at a deeper, instinctive and non-verbal level.
Baby massage gives lifelong health benefits to babies.
Other fantastic things about massage is that massage is flexible in that once the basic skills are learnt, any part of the sequence can be adapted to better suit the needs, wishes or preferences of you and/or your baby. You can even use the same strokes and sequences on your older children – there is no age limit for massage with some modifications for different ages. Many parents can personally attest to how wonderful it feels to receive a massage as an adult.
Being a parent, as amazing an experience as it is, can at times be very isolating. Attending a baby massage class provides you with another great opportunity to meet some other parents to share stories, make and build friendships. It also creates another type of support network, important with any parents.
Booking into a class, you will learn the basics of baby massage, enough to get you started, enabling you to then take away the knowledge you have gained and use it to add to your existing skills, continuing to modify your use of massage techniques as it best works for you at home.
Dads are very welcome at all classes either as the sole attending parent or accompanying the mum and are encouraged to attend. In fact many dads greatly enjoy learning another way they can interact in a very practical way with their baby through baby massage sessions.
WHAT HAPPENS AT A BABY MASSAGE CLASS?
There are no hard and fast rules with baby massage – just guidelines.
At a class:
· Learn a bit more about some of the many benefits of baby massage
· You will learn the theory behind the strokes and sequences and how and why baby massage techniques are different to those performed on adults
· Learn some suggestions about when, where, how long & how often to massage your baby
· You will be able to watch a baby massage demonstration from start to finish while putting the theory into practice at the same time with your baby. Classes are set at a relaxed pace as baby massage is baby-led and you are free to participate at your own pace and your baby's pace
· Learn the best types of oils to use when massaging your baby
· Learn a few specific types of massage that can be used for helping relieve particular situations such as colic and wind
· Learn situations when you may need to use caution when massaging your baby or on the rare occasions when it would be best to avoid massage
· Learn a few more ideas you can try if you are unable/don’t wish/don’t have time to perform a full massage session but would like to calm or relax your baby
More blog posts to come on baby massage!